Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baby savers

With my first litter, and only 2 kits, I had absolutely no problem with the kits being dragged out of the nest box and crawling through the sides of the cage and falling on the ground.  Plus they were already pretty big since there were only two and she waited to the last possible minute to have them, so it didn't take them long before they were to big to go through the cage walls.  But with the litters I had after that, occasionally a kit would get dragged out of the box (latched on to mommas nipple and stayed latched while she left the nest box, taking the baby along with her) and even though they are tiny, they can sure move and I ended up walking out to the shed, counting babies and discovered there was one missing.  I searched all over and I found the baby at the other end of the shed - thus making me research baby savers.  I tried several things but finally found some wire that works great.  I cut it to so that it covers 3 inches around the cage, on all sides.  I just used zip ties to attach them and waited to see if the does would bother them at all (they love to chew) but they have left them alone (the first few things I went through the messed with).  Since installing the baby savers I have had no lost babies, though occasionally one will still get out of the nest box but it can't get out of the cage.


And if you haven't figured it out already - you can click on all the pictures to enlarge them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment