Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Water bottles

So I started off with the normal water bottle, but they just didn't hold enough, I was filling them constantly, and during the Summer they would get nasty and start turning green and they are SO hard to clean, so I turned used soda bottles (the 2 liters) into water bottles, which is also great because when they start to get dirty, you can just replace it with another soda bottle.  You can buy just the nozzle part for the water bottle so you can attach them to soda bottles (water bottle conversion kits), it also comes with a spring like thing to hold the water bottle to the cage but I found out quickly that those sucked.  The spring was always to tight and would end up making the bottle leak from the pressure on it, and if you tried to stretch the spring at all it would end up not being springy anymore and would be too loose to hold the bottle up.  So again with the wire hangers :)  If you have read my previous posts, wire hangers have come in very handy for me while building 'accessories' for the rabbits cages (check out the door latch post).  So I took a wire hanger and cut a big piece out, I bent one end of the hanger to form a hook that would hook onto the cage and then held a water bottle up to the cage and bent the wire to form to the bottle, when I would get it bent all the way around the bottle, I would bend the other end into a hook (cut off any excess) and then you have a nice sturdy piece of wire that can hold a heavy soda bottle full of water on the cage without it squeezing on the bottle and causing it to leak from pressure.  Here's a picture of one of the bottles on a rabbit cage.

1 comment:

  1. When I use the 2 liter bottles with the ball nipples attached they drip continuously? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete